Dicover the city of Berlin and the marks of Dr. King, Jr.
Here you will find a small part of our research and the results of our work. Unfortunately,
we can not provide you with all data for copyright reasons. We will be happy to show you
historical documents and exhibits in the guided tours of the exhibition and the city tours.
The QR code records the locations where an active King code already exists. There you
can download further information by scanning.
Martin Luther King, Jr. arrived at Tempelhof Airport in the early afternoon of Saturday 12th
September 1964. Besides King his friend and employee Rev. Ralph Abernathy was part of
the American Delegation. The American guests were welcomed cordially on the airfield
just by the plane by the Major Superintendent of West Berlin, Hans Martin Helbich, and
the Berlin Senator for Culture Werner Stein.
In the morning of 14th September 1964 King and Abernathy left already Berlin and flew
from Tempelhof to Munich.
Tempelhof Airport is Berlin’s second-oldest airport. During the blockade of Berlin 1948/49
it was essential for the transport of medicine and food for the citizens of West Berlin and
became a symbol of freedom. By 1971 5,5 million passengers used the airport anually. In
1975 Tegel Airport was opened so air traffic from Tempelhof was discontinued
temporarily. In 1985 small airlines and and business travellers flew from the airport
The impressive building from the time of National-Socialism, whose inner construction
was never really finished, was declared a national heritage site in 1995 and is thus
protected from demolition.
In October 2008 all traffic from Tempelhof Airport ceased. Currently there are many ideas
and plans for the usage of the building and the airfield. Today the “Tempelhofer Feld” is a
kind of public park, a place where events take place or where the Berlin citizens or
international guests can relax and enjoy their stay.
Guesthouse of the Senate
As a guest of the mayor of Berlin Willy Brandt King stayed for two nights in the guesthose
of the senate, Menzelstraße. In the evening of 12th September 1964 he held a press
The stately villa in Grunewald was built in 1923. In 1927 the merchant Israel Kurt Kranz
bought the impressive building and lived there until 1933. Kranz had to put the villa up
for compulsory sale because the Nazis forced him to do so because of his Jewish faith.
The OHG A.E. Wassermann and the merchant Walter Pikuritz (in Berlin known as the
„sugar king“ too) bought the house in 1938. After the World War ll the building was
severely damaged. Therefore, in 1950, a complete rebuilding process started. In 1964
Berlin bought the house and used it until 2003 as a place to stay for guests of the Senate.
In October 2003 the building was sold to the Korean Republic which has used the building
as an embassy since 2006.
City Hall Schöneberg
The official reception of Martin Luther King, Jr. happened in the Rathaus Schöneberg, on
the 13th September 1964. The current mayor, Willy Brandt, presents the liberty bell to
King as a gift. After some words of gratitude Marin Luther King, Jr. signs the Golden Book
of the city of Berlin.
Afterwards Willy Brandt and Martin Luther King Jr. drive to the opening of the 14th Berlin
Festival in the Philharmonie at the Potsdamer Platz.
The Rathaus Schöneberg was built between 1911 and 1914. All the representative rooms
are aligned to John F. Kennedy Square, while the administrative offices are located in the
rear building sections. Until December 1990, Rathaus Schöneberg was not only the seat
of the Berlin House of representatives but also the seat of the governing mayor.
Therefore, all government receipts, such as the speech of John F. Kennedy. It was made
famous not only by the speech of the American president and his words “Ich bin ein
Berliner”, but also by the liberty bell, which hangs in the tower since 1950. It is the largest
profane bell in the city. It was modelled after the American Independence bell and
financed from donations. Officially, the donations came from private individuals, but in
fact the funding was supported by the US government and the CIA.
arrival Tempelhof Airport/ Helbich, Grüber, King, Abernathy,
Stein/ pic: private Helbich
Guesthouse 1975 / pic: Landesarchiv Berlin
reception by the korean ambassador 2013 / king-code
students of the king-code made drawings in 2013
City Hall Schöneberg, Mayor Brandt prensets the liberty bell
to King / pic: Landesarchiv Berlin
City Hall Schöneberg, City’s Golden Book with the sign of Dr.
King, Jr. / pic: king-code